Head of the Human Resources Service
The BIPM seeks to recruit for the following post:
- Grade: A11
- Type of contract: Indefinite-term appointment / Full-time
- Location: Sèvres, (suburb of Paris), France
- for applications: 31.05.23 (23h59 Paris time)
The Human Resources Service (HR Service) is one of the key services of the BIPM. Its priorities are to deliver efficient, well-planned, and cost-effective HR services for the BIPM. These include those related to HR policy coordination, improvement, and harmonization of conditions of employment, organizational development and performance management while taking into consideration best practice at other International Organizations.
The Head of the HR Service reports directly to the Director of the BIPM. As a member of the Management Team, the Head of the HR Service contributes to the elaboration of the BIPM Strategic Plan and its implementation.
Principal duties and responsibilities
- Interpret and apply existing BIPM HR policies as well as staff rules and regulations and ensure BIPM HR practice is consistent with such texts and with best practice at other international organizations.
- Within delegated authority, make determinations on behalf of the BIPM Director, which may include the creation of precedents and take responsibility for HR related recommendations to staff and senior management aimed at ensuring the continuous improvement of HR operations across the BIPM.
- Analyze and evaluate requests from managers and staff considering the policies and practices of the BIPM, to increase efficiency in resource management and recruitment, including by providing expert advice to staff on HR matters when requested.
- Identify needs for, new or modified HR policies considering the BIPM Strategic Plan, and propose action as required, including consultation with the staff representative body.
- Conduct briefing sessions on HR-related topics and strategies. Manage and coordinate the provision of training on transversal topics of value to all Departments and Services.
- Supervise and coordinate the work of the HR Service staff and increase automation of HR processes and services where it will increase efficiency.
- Perform any other HR related duties as assigned by the BIPM Director.
- Advanced university degree (master’s or equivalent) in the field of human resources management, public or business administration, law or political sciences or related area such as social or behavioral sciences.
- A minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible and relevant professional experience in human resources management or related area, including a minimum of 5 years at a senior supervisory level, preferably in an international environment such as international organization.
- Experience in the development and implementation of human resources strategies, regulatory frameworks, policies, and procedures.
- Proven experience in the application and interpretation of staff rules and regulations, and in dealing with complex administrative HR issues.
- Experience in leading and motivating staff in a multicultural environment demonstrated through managing by example and providing value-driven advice.
Skills and competencies
- Capacity to provide intellectual leadership to guide staff, as well as ability to build trust among, manage, lead, and motivate a large number of staff in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Strong conceptual, intellectual, and analytical capacities, with a high sense of objectivity and professional integrity, diplomacy, tact, and political astuteness.
- Strong management and organizational skills with ability to establish plans and priorities and effectively implement them.
- Excellent sense of judgement for informed decision-making.
- Good interpersonal and representational skills and demonstrated ability to advocate and engage with staff and with stakeholders/partners at all levels within and outside the Organization.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of innovative human resources policies, practices, and procedures.
- Ability to identify key HR strategic issues, objectives, opportunities, and risks.
- Excellent drafting and communication skills.
- Excellent knowledge of French or English, both spoken and written, is essential. Good knowledge of the other is desirable.
Terms of Employment & Benefits
- Initial probationary period of 6 months, renewable once.
- Competitive gross annual salary starting at 88,523 euros, depending on qualifications and experience, plus allowances subject to eligibility.
- Salaries and allowances exempt from income tax in France only.
- Minimum of 37 days paid holiday per year.
- Contributory pension scheme and private health insurance which can be extended to dependants.
More information on the Benefits & General Conditions of Employment at the BIPM
The BIPM encourages applications from qualified candidates regardless of gender.
A full curriculum vitae (CV) and a covering letter (both in English) should be sent by 31.05.2023 (23h59 Paris time).
Applications should include the names of two referees who can comment on the applicant's suitability for the post (who will only be contacted with the prior permission of the candidate). Incomplete applications may not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. They may be invited to take part in a distance written test and/or in a remote interview as part of the selection process. Thereafter, successful candidates will be invited to a face-to-face interview. The selection process may be modified.
The BIPM retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy, to make an appointment at a different grade, to make an appointment with a modified job description, or to offer a contract term for a different duration than the one indicated in this vacancy announcement.