International Organization of Legal Metrology (OIML)
The OIML is an intergovernmental treaty organization addressing legal metrology, including provisions related to units of measurement, to measurement results (e.g. prepackages) and to measuring instruments. These provisions cover the legal obligations related to the measurement results and the measuring instruments, as well as the legal control which is performed by or on behalf of the government.
Formal relationship with the BIPM
Links between the BIPM and the OIML
- The OIML and the BIPM interact at senior level through annual bilateral and multipartite meetings;
- Periodic meetings take place between the Directors of the two organizations and the senior staff, to address both technical matters and organizational matters of common interest to the two organizations;
- The OIML and the BIPM collaborate to promote World Metrology Day, the website of which is hosted by the OIML;
- The OIML is one of the partners in INetQI;
- The OIML is a member of the JCGM and participates in the CCU;
- The OIML and the BIPM provide a BIPM-OIML Resource Center hosted by the OIML;
- The OIML and the BIPM collaborate on the potential participation of new States;
- The two organizations operate a watching brief when one organization attends relevant meetings and the other does not.
Joint statements and publications
International Liaison and Communication