Resolution 6 of the 24th CGPM
On financial arrears of States Parties to the Metre Convention
The General Conference on Weights and Measures (CGPM), at its 24th meeting,
- Article 6 paragraphs 6 to 8 of the Regulations annexed to the Metre Convention reads:
- "6. Si un État est demeuré trois années sans effectuer le versement de sa contribution, celle-ci est répartie entre les autres États, au prorata de leurs propres contributions. Les sommes supplémentaires, versées ainsi par les États pour parfaire le montant de la dotation du Bureau, sont considérées comme une avance faite à l'État retardataire, et leur sont remboursées si celui-ci vient à acquitter ses contributions arriérées.
7. Les avantages et prérogatives conférés par l'adhésion à la Convention du Mètre sont suspendus à l'égard des États déficitaires de trois années.
8. Après trois nouvelles années, l'État déficitaire est exclu de la Convention, et le calcul des contributions est rétabli conformément aux dispositions de l'article 20 du présent Règlement." (1)
- Resolution 8 adopted by the CGPM at its 23rd meeting (2007) defining the decision-making process and a procedure governing the recovery of arrears and exclusion,
- the contributions of States Parties to the Metre Convention in arrears for more than 6 years and advances made by the other States Parties pursuant to Article 6 paragraph 6 of the Regulations annexed to the Metre Convention,
- the absolute necessity that contributions of States Parties to the Metre Convention be paid timely and consistently to allow the BIPM to fulfil its mission and to avoid financial problems in its day-to-day operation,
- for States Parties in arrears for more than 6 years to grant a period of 12 months from the date of adoption of the present Resolution to conclude with the International Committee for Weights and Measures (CIPM) a rescheduling agreement,
- that if a rescheduling agreement is not concluded within 12 months, those States will automatically be excluded, and the CIPM will inform in writing the French Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs for notification to this effect to those States and to all States Parties to the Metre Convention on behalf of the CGPM, and
- that the calculation of contributions is re-established in accordance with the applicable provisions in the most immediate calendar year after exclusion.
(1) English translation for easy reference of the authoritative French version:
6. If a State remains three years without paying its contribution, the said contribution is distributed among the other States pro-rata to their own contributions. The supplementary sums thus paid by these States to make up the dotation of the Bureau are considered as advances made to the State in arrears, and are reimbursed to them in the event that it repays its arrears of contributions.
7. The advantages and prerogatives conferred by accession to the Metre Convention are suspended for those States in arrears by three years.
8. After three more years, the State in arrears is excluded from the Convention and the calculation of contributions is re-established in accordance with the provisions of Article 20 of the present Regulations.