This project, started in 2016, is designed to allow NMIs to work together to strengthen mycotoxin metrology infrastructure; provide knowledge transfer to scientists developing capabilities in this area, including periods as visiting scientists at the BIPM; and enable NMIs to provide mycotoxin calibrant and matrix reference materials and proficiency test materials to support mycotoxin testing laboratories within their countries.
The project has support from a number of NMIs who are providing scientific expertise and raw materials to the project. The technical activities at the BIPM will focus on Mycotoxin Calibrants, and providing appropriate training and knowledge transfer.
The first series of on-site knowledge transfer activities were completed in 2020, and BIPM activities for the period 2021-2024 are focused on demonstrating equivalence of Mycotoxin Standards provided by NMIs/DIs through the coordination of CCQM comparisons on mycotoxin calibration solutions for aflatoxin B1, deoxynivalenol, patulin and ochratoxin A. Guidelines for the purity evaluation and calibrant assessment of mycotoxin primary reference materials and calibration solutions are also being made available.
The knowledge transfer programmes have been transferred to on-line versions using BIPM’s e-learning platform in 2021. The first course to be on-line will be for ‘Measurement of non-related structure impurities in organic pure materials’, with the first module available on 4 May 2021.
Eligibility and application process: NMIs and DIs from Member States and Associates are able to access the online course material after completing the registration form.
Calibrant Assessment Guidelines (CAGs)
Search filter :
[BIPM CAG-03] - Calibrant Assessment Guideline: Deoxynivalenol (DON)
[BIPM CAG-02] - Calibrant Assessment Guideline - Zearalenone (ZEN)
Purity Evaluation Guidelines (PEGs)
Search filter :
[BIPM PEG-02] Purity Evaluation Guideline: Aflatoxin B1
The BIPM would like to thank the following institutes for providing financial support for the project:
- NIM, China (provision of pure mycotoxin materials and 3 man years of NIM expert visiting scientist time to support BIPM laboratory activities)
- PTB, Germany (support for 3 month secondments of visiting scientists from: INTI, Argentina (2017); INMETRO, Brazil (2017); KEBS, Kenya (2017); NIMT, Thailand (2017))
- UME, Turkey (provision of 3 months of UME expert visiting scientist time to support BIPM laboratory activities)
- NMISA, South Africa (support for 4 months of NMISA visiting scientist time to participate in project)
- NRC, Canada, for provision of Ochratoxin A material
NMIs/DIs interested in providing financial support the project should contact the BIPM for further information.
List of CBKT MM workshops
- Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- Pretoria, South Africa