The BIPM and the Italian Physical Society are running a joint Metrology School "New frontiers for metrology: from biology and chemistry to quantum and data science" in Varenna (Italy), during the summer of 2019. Additional information can be found on the dedicated BIPM webpage.
There are opportunities for a limited number of sponsored participants from NMIs/DIs of Member States or Associates that have emerging metrology systems. Award winners will combine their attendance at the Metrology School with a short (two- to six-week) placement at METAS, the Swiss NMI, to pursue a specific metrology topic of interest. The grant is aimed at young metrologists with strong scientific ability/potential expected to be the 'high flyers' of tomorrow.
- Application process
Applications are open until 18 April 2019.
Successful applicants will be selected and notified of their placement by 26 April 2019.
- Financial support:
Successful applicants will receive a grant for travel, course fees and subsistence to cover:
- attendance at the Metrology Summer School organized by the BIPM with the Italian Physical Society and held at the International School of Physics Enrico Fermi in Varenna (Italy), and
- a short placement (between two and six weeks) at METAS (Switzerland), to pursue a specific metrology project or topic of interest.
Part I: The Metrology School
The Varenna Metrology School consists of three modules:
Part II: The METAS placement
This is a short placement (between two and six weeks) at METAS, to pursue a specific metrology project or topic of interest. This could, for example, be to learn about using a particular piece of measurement equipment, and/or apply a specific measurement technique used by METAS, or work on a joint metrology project/activity.
- 4-6 July 2019: Module on "Physical metrology" (optional)
- 7-9 July 2019: Module on "Fundamental metrology" (core and mandatory)
- 10-12 July 2019: Module on "Quality of life" (optional)
The placement at METAS is expected to immediately follow the metrology school, but in exceptional circumstances it may precede the course.
METAS is providing funding for both the Metrology School (either for two or three modules) and the METAS placement.