The BIPM is...
- the international organization established by the Metre Convention, through which Member States act together on matters related to measurement science and measurement standards
- the home of the International System of Units (SI) and the international reference time scale (UTC).
The new BIPM website
The BIPM is proud to present its new website, with an updated design and personalized content. Those entitled to access restricted documents will need to set up a personal password: click on SIGN IN in the header, then on Password forgotten and enter your email address as registered in the BIPM Meetings Office database.
Launch of laboratory based on-line knowledge transfer programme on Metrology for Food Safety: Calibrators
The BIPM has launched its on-line knowledge transfer courses and studies on Metrology for Food Safety focusing on primary reference materials and calibration solution characterization. The first course covers ‘Quantification of Non-structurally Related Impurity Content in Organic Pure Materials’
Launch of Greenhouse Gas Scale Task Group: expanding accessibility to standards for CO2 atmospheric monitoring and emissions authentication
A Task Group for Greenhouse Gas Scale Comparisons has been established within the CCQM-GAWG with the goal of increasing global accessibility to standards for underpinning long-term monitoring and emissions authentication of CO2 in the atmosphere.
Reports and announcements
What is the BIPM? part 2
Our mission and objectives
The BIPM's vision is to be universally recognized as the world focus for the international system of measurement.
The BIPM's mission is to work with the National Metrology Institutes of its Member States, the Regional Metrology Organizations and strategic partners world-wide and to use its international and impartial status to promote and advance the global comparability of measurements for:
- Scientific discovery and innovation
- Industrial manufacturing and international trade
- Improving the quality of life and sustaining the global environment.