New search facility:  
BIPM Home | Site map | Metrology portal | KCDB | JCTLM-DB | Contact us  
   
The Pavillon de Breteuil
Summary
The Pavillon de Breteuil
The Observatoire
The Petit Pavillon
The Nouveau Pavillon
The Laser building
The Ionizing Radiation and Chemistry building
The Pavillon du Mail
Aerial view of the BIPM site
How to get to the BIPM headquarters
Related articles
History of the Pavillon de Breteuil
Direct access

The Pavillon de Breteuil dates back to 1672 when Louis XIV ordered his architect Gobert to build the Trianon de Saint-Cloud (as it was originally known) for his brother "Monsieur", then living in the nearby Château de Saint-Cloud. It took its present form in 1743, and the name Pavillon de Breteuil in 1785 when it became associated with the Baron de Breteuil. The building was seriously damaged in the Franco-Prussian war of 1870 but has since been restored to much of its former glory. In 1875 the French government offered the Pavillon to the CIPM for the establishment of the BIPM.

A fuller account of the history of the Pavillon is available on-line and in the booklet The Pavillon de Breteuil: A brief outline from 1672 to the present day.

       

The Pavillon as seen from the gardens, with the Nouveau Pavillon on the right and the Pavillon du Mail in the distance


The Pavillon de Breteuil, seen from the courtyard


The Pavillon de Breteuil, seen from the courtyard (2)


The Pavillon de Breteuil, seen from the courtyard (3)


Detail of the entrance to the Pavillon de Breteuil


The entrance to the BIPM


Related articles

History of the Pavillon de Breteuil